Resource Room

Drop in between Monday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

200-150 Montreal Rd, Ottawa, ON K1L 8H2

Tel: 613-748-1788
Fax: 613-748-1018

The resource room is a place to:

  • ask about community resources for persons with developmental disabilities;
  • receive help in completing service application forms;
  • register for programs or services.
SCS Instructional Videos
SCS is developing a series of instructional videos to help you complete essential steps yourself to request funding, services, supports and more. We select topics based on your most frequently asked questions.

Click on this link to access the library:

SCS provides families and individuals with information and links to respite services. This includes access to workers in our community that provide respite care., formerly known as Special Services Worker Bank, is part of a secure provincial website.

What is respite?
Respite is simply a ‘break’. It often helps when families have a break from the demands of care-giving. It gives the family time to be free of their care-giving responsibilities for a short time. This allows them to take care of other important things such as rest, relaxation and rejuvenation. It can also give the family member who has a developmental disability or autism opportunities to meet new people, have fun and learn new skills. In short, respite can improve the quality of life of both care-givers and their family members with developmental disabilities or autism. is hosted by SCS. It is a secure website with tools that match you with Direct Support Providers who can provide respite. This service is available to children and adults with developmental disabilities and/or autism in Ottawa.
Click here to access

Community Respite Services
The respite programs, some of which are funded by the Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and others are private.
Link to:

Transition Youth to Adult Life

Change can be exciting and challenging for lots of people. The transition from high school life to life as an adult can be particularly so. It is a time for you as the person leaving high school and your family to make important decisions about the future. These decisions include making choices about education, employment, volunteering, relationships, community participation and social involvement.

Person-directed planning is an interactive, dynamic, person-focused, ongoing process that helps bring clarity to the decision-making process. It enables the identification of opportunities and experiences that are available in your community. It will help you to prepare, plan, set goals and take action to assist with a successful transition into life as an adult. Understanding and undertaking the steps involved in person-directed planning is often the fist step required to building a good life in the community.


Person-directed planning (also called Person-Centered Planning)

This is an ongoing planning process that helps to determine goals and paths for clients. Person-directed planning begins with listening to families and clients in order to understand what it is that they want in their lives. It builds on dreams, strengths and capabilities. Understanding what is of value to clients and their families and knowing how clients can participate in the community is key to the process.

The following Person-Directed Planning guide has been designed by The Individualized Funding Coalition for Ontario and funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services of Ontario:
A Guide on Person-Directed Planning

For further resources, you may wish to search the internet using terms such as person centred planning, inclusion or social integration.

Crisis lines and important phone numbers

SCS is not a crisis centre.

Individuals in crisis need to contact the appropriate direct services, here are some options:

  • Emergencies (life threatening event or crime in progress)

  • Ottawa Police (other emergencies)

  • Children’s Aid Society (mandated to protect children and youth from abuse and neglect)

  • Child, Youth and Family Crisis Line (24 hour telephone service for children, youth and parents)

  • Ottawa region’s bilingual crisis lines (first point of access / crisis team)
    Youth: 613-260-2360
    Adults: 613-722-6914
    or 1-866-996-0991

  • The Distress Center (crisis intervention, information and referral)

  • City of Ottawa (Social and Community Support)
Annual Reports

2018 – 2019 Annual Report

2017 – 2018 Annual Report

2016 – 2017 Annual Report

2015 – 2016 Annual Report

2014 – 2015 Annual Report

2013 – 2014 Annual Report

2012 – 2013 Annual Report

2011 – 2012 Annual Report

2010 – 2011 Annual Report

2009 – 2010 Annual Report

2008 – 2009 Annual Report and Statistical Report

2007 – 2008 Annual Report



These forms can be saved or printed so that they can be filled out. If you need assistance in accessing a form, having it printed or help filling it out please contact our Service Access team at 613-748-1788 or drop into our Resource Room.

SCS community database

SCS community database focuses on local services and supports for children, youth and adults with developmental disabilities and/or autism.

We invite you to browse through the information available. You can search the database by subject or agency. You can also print the information you find.

If you would like more information about these services or you cannot find the service you need please call SCS at 613-748-1788, drop in to our resource room or send us a message at

Click here to search the database

Pertinent websites

Most of our resource information can be searched in the Community Information Centre Ottawa database. Below, we have provided links to government sites, other disabilities, services and other pertinent sites that you may find helpful.

Transfer Payment Agencies

Transfer Payment Agencies

Transfer Payment Agencies (TPA) are public non-profit organizations, directly funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS). These agencies are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. The Board is mandated by MCCSS to offer services and/or programs to the community. Service contracts are signed between the parties and describe the nature of the services offered.

Outside Paid Resources

Outside Paid Resources

Outside Paid Resources (OPR) are private for-profit organisations. These organisations are directly funded and monitored by TPAs and service agreements are signed between the parties. Families can also purchase services from these organizations directly.

  • Bairncroft Residential Services
    Residential services (613) 841-6844
  • Bergeron Family Home
    Residential services (613) 443-3680
  • Chamomile Country Project
    Residential services (613) 258-1153
  • Family Tree Youth Services
    Residential services (613) 833-1608
  • Genesis Residential Treatment Program
    Residential services (613) 744-4693
  • Greenland Country Haven
    Respite and Day services (613) 832-0708
  • Open Arms
    Residential services (613) 821-9797
  • Partners in Parenting
    Residential and Day services
  • Precious Homes
    Residential services (613) 821-1990
  • Les Résidences Kaba & Léonard
    services résidentiel (613) 834-6929
  • River View Homes
    Residential services (613) 835-2324
  • Sinclair Children’s Residence
    Children’s residential services (613) 821-1929
  • Sonshine Families
    Residential and Day services
  • Welcome Home Children’s Residence
    Residential and Day services 613-833-1676